Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Reviewer Loved Changeling

Once again, Clint Eastwood gives us a thought provoking and deeply emotional film. The Changeling. It was much better than I expected. A true story of an LA woman in the late 1920's, who's son is kidnapped and the LAPD decides to substitute another child and demonstrably makes the woman believe it is her son, despite her protestations. Angelina Jolie does a great job as the mother, Christine Collins in an emotionally gut wrenching role. I loved how she was living out her imaginary circumstances. Powerful stuff. John Malkovich portrays the Rev. Gustav Briegleb, who is on a crusade to bring the LAPD's corruption and wrong doings to light. I heard many reviews citing that character is being manipulative and using Christine Collins for his own gain. Not sure of the actual story, but in the film, I disagree with that assessment, I think the Reverend was portrayed as a hero and the lone voice in the wilderness that would listen to Christine Collins and do what he could to help. Malkovich is as fine as ever.

As for the LAPD, excellent performance by Jeffrey Donovan as the cold and heartless Captain Jones, who torments Christine Collins. Primarily a television actor, Donovan was very good as a man you love to hate. Colm Feore, portrays Police Chief Davis in a somewhat lesser role but did a decent job as well.

The sub plot to Changeling is equally riveting. A kidnapped Canadian boy forced to helping a serial killer slay children and somehow this all gets enmeshed in the Christine Collins story. I was impressed by Jason Butler Harner as Gordon Northcott. I have never seen him before. Another predominant television actor, but he has good chops and I enjoyed his performance.

And of course the film would be nowhere without the talents of Clint Eastwood. Time and again, he keeps showing us what a remarkable film maker he truly is. As an actor's director, I would love to work with him some day, if I am fortunate enough. Changeling is hard to imagine being a true story, considering all that goes on in the film. I am surprised it has gotten little Oscar recognition, especially Angelina has been practically written off in pre Oscar balloting. But, she excellent and a lot better than Kate Winslet in The Reader. I give Changeling 4 Stars. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment